Monday, October 27, 2008

Jack-O-Lanterns



For the past two years I've gotten my pumpkin carving stencils from Zombie Pumpkins. They turn out great (I think so, anyway) every time! Last year I carved a Wario and a funny face named Horton. Carson, my boyfriend's nine year old son, and I share a love of video games. So this year we carved Boo, Bowser and Princess Peach!

We took a trip to McGee Farms on Saturday Morning and picked out three perfect pumpkins from the pumpkin patch. Gutting the pumpkins is always a chore because Carson doesn't like getting his hands dirty. I gutted two and Carson gutted one. It was nice having some help. He was very enthusiastic about the patterns we picked out this year.

I had forgotten how tedious tracing and then carving can be. It took about five hours total to carve all three pumpkins. Next year we're only doing two! The end results were totally worth all the eye strain, back pain and sore hands. This really is a fun activity for the entire family. Even if the kids are too young to handle the sharp stuff, pulling out the guts is something they can do. Even Corey got involved and roasted the seeds. YUMMY!

3 comments:

  1. you guys did such an amazing job on theses! seriously nintendo themed pumpkins! amazing! i am so glad you posted a blog on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome!
    We don't do the pumpkin thing with such gusto over here in the UK, but I sometimes wish we did.
    I was tempted to do some of these pumpkins, as an easy way out:
    http://stomachsonlegs.blogspot.com/2008/09/vomiting-pumpkins.html

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!